Summer is the season to perfect your landscape, and your lawn is a key part of its appearance. You may be wondering why your lawn doesn’t match up to your neighbors, and that may be because you’re not using the right mowing techniques. To achieve a fuller look to your landscape, simply following the right mowing techniques could do the trick!
How to Achieve the Perfect Lawn
You may have never thought that there’s a correct and incorrect way to mow your lawn. If you’re mowing your lawn incorrectly, it will never survive. But if you follow these tips, your lawn will flourish.
The Mower Blade and Height
To create a healthy lawn, it’s important to be aware of the mower blade and the height.
- Blade: Always keep the blade sharp to get a clean and even cut and sharpen the blade a few times throughout the season.
- Height: In order to allow grass to grow, adjust the mower to a higher height. This will help shade the soil and keep weeds out. Also, mow at a higher height in shady areas to enhance photosynthesis.
There are a few techniques that you can use to help the grass stay healthy and full.
- Dry Grass: Always mow when the grass is dry to avoid uneven cuts. You will not damage your lawn by mowing wet grass, but it could clog up the mower. To learn more about how to maintain grass, check out our blog.
- Mowing Pattern: When mowing, never cut in the same pattern every time because it will cause ruts to appear in the lawn, which creates unhealthy grass.
- Create Flat Edging: Roll one wheel of the mower on the edging of the lawn to create a flat surface. This will ensure that you don’t have to trim any edges, which saves you time.
- Scalping: Never scalp your grass, or cut it too short because it causes weeds to grow and make your lawn more susceptible to diseases.
Use Grasscycling to Fertilize Your Lawn
Grasscycling is when you leave the clippings on the lawn after you mow. These clippings will act as a fertilizer. In the end, this will save time because you won’t have to pick up the grass clippings anymore and you’ll save money by spending less on fertilizer. Remember in the fall you can also mow your leaves into your lawn to provide additional nutrients. You can check out our blog, Fall Lawn Tips to learn more.
What Not to Do When Mowing
Now that you know how to keep a healthy lawn, it’s important to know what practices you should avoid when mowing. Be sure you’re not mowing too much because mowing too often could potentially cause brown spots in your lawn from dead grass. You also want to make sure you never rush. Getting the job done quick could leave an uneven look to the lawn.
Having the perfect lawn this summer is what everyone strives for, and we can help you achieve it with our expert techniques and technology. Dolan Landscaping has been in this business for over 25 years, offering our customers top quality services. Contact us today to see how we can help transform your lawn and landscape!